J.Byrne

Windows 7

As of the time I posted this, the most recent build openly avaliable is 6801 from PDC a while back, and the most recent build we can confirm exists is 6948.

I thought it was a little sad that the Microsoft section was empty, so I'm starting a thread...

Anyway, what are peoples thoughts on Windows 7 so far?

Me First:

If Microsoft doesn't drop things like the Vista Basic theme (and soon) no matter how many features they add or improvements they make, some people will just keep calling it things like "Vista R2"

I also think a "Minor Release" isn't such a good idea when trying to recover from such bad publicity.

I actually haven't used Windows 7 yet, but I think the real question is; how many features will they actually see through to the final release? Vista perhaps could have been better had they actually completed some of the good features (though i doubt it since the features kept hinder the OS useless). Guess I need to get my hands on Windows 7...but really what am I missing? Maybe we should start compare and contrast Vista and Windows 7? Both announced features and features that actually reached the final cut.

Yeah, some pretty neat features were cut from Vista after the reset (I'd love to see a comeback of the shell integrated sidebar)

Problem is, its always the cool, radical ideas that get cut...

Beta 1 is expected to hit soon, hopefully we'l some interesting changes then, but that term "minor release" stings a little.

Wait until the last beta release, it will have the most current features mods with the os.

Honestly from playing with it thus far, its just vista with a new GUI and the annoying notifications removed. Vista's kernal is the shizzel, they just screwed up it's interface delivery.

I have used Windows 7 Build 6801 in VPC 2007 SP1 and it ran incredibly fast and stable, and I could almost justify wiping Windows Vista off my actual machine and install Windows 7 on it, but I know that would be complete madness considering that Windows 7 is still only alpha.

I know Windows 7 uses a file called bootmgr like Windows Vista does, instead of using ntldr, but I have heard some people have had one or two complications dual-booting Windows 7 with their existing Windows Vista. Anyone here ever tried dual-booting 7 with Vista?

I feel almost 100% ready to dual-boot Windows 7 with my existing Windows Vista setup when Windows 7 is in Beta 1 status in the new year, but I just wanted to know if there are any known problems with dual-booting Windows 7 with existing Windows Vista setups.

I bet the Beta of Windows 7 will be publicised by either: Microsoft letting a wider range of people have access to it, or it leaking and appearing on torrent sites. ;)

Either way, if I get hold of it, I will dual-boot it with Windows Vista so that I can also test out the features such as aero-snap, because previous builds I tested (Build 6519 and Build 6801) I only test in Virtual PC 2007.

so i hear windows 7 build 7000 is circulating with build tag 7000.0.081212-1400...

Anyone know anything about it? I'm really really behind in the windows 7 scene.

Sorry to bump this topic, but....

I have installed and are using Build 7000 of Windows 7 now, dual-booted with Windows Vista without a problem, and everything is running flawlessy, considering it is still an early build. :D

One minor annoyance though: At first, I only got the Aero basic theme at first logon, and I was worried that my NVIDIA Geforce Go 6100 would no longer support Aero, because the Aero in Windows 7 is different to that in Windows Vista. I had a look in Device Manager, and there was only a ''Standard VGA graphics'' installed under display adapters. I went to update the driver, and I looked through the list of video drivers Windows 7 had to offer, but there was no ''NVIDIA Geforce Go 6100 - (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)! In fact, there was no WDDM/XDDM drivers included for the Geforce Go 5 or 6 series, only WDDM drivers for the desktop conterparts! <_< I eventually got a suitable WDDM driver complete with NVIDIA control panel from the Windows Update catalog.

But I wonder why Microsoft omitted the Geforce Go 6 series WDDM drivers from Windows 7? :unsure:

Its Beta software man, its going to be missing stuff.

But Microsoft didn't omitt WDDM drivers for the current NVIDIA video cards in 2006 when Windows Vista was still a beta. Anyways, I am glad that my laptop's NVIDIA card still support Aero in Windows 7, and so far Windows 7 not requiring DX10 graphics for DWM. :)

very many builds - build 7068 leaked two days ago.

You can find both x86 & x64 versions...

I'll install it today. :)

I'm still going to wait for the offical RC of Windows 7! :P

I heard that official RC build will release on May. I don't want to wait much longer, and I want to collect all W7 builds.

If you know, A month ago build 6780 was leaked..